The Summary

I want to trade up a bag of Doritos to the most amazing item possible for a commercial entry into Dorito's Crash The Super Bowl Contest. One can win up to $1 million in this competition. I will donate 50% of any money gained during this experience to charity (for the complete story, scroll to the bottom of this page to the first post).

Potentially:
-Hundreds of Thousands to Charity
-A Super Bowl Ad
-An incredibly unique story

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Adapting an Idea



Many things in life come down to a simple risk/reward analysis.  Starting a business is risky for most people because they must invest a good sum of money.  And it’s possible they’ll never get this money back.  Entering a contest like this, on the other hand, entails very little risk.  What’s the worst case?  You invest a little money, and your entry or idea doesn’t come through.  That’s exactly why I wanted to try this project out.  With very little investment, I thought it had the potential to really go big.  Thus far, the concept hasn’t exploded.  I’ve thought from the beginning that I would know within about a week whether this was going to go somewhere.  It would have either taken off virally or it wouldn’t have.  Given it hasn’t, I think making any trades will remain incredibly difficult.  I still think my original idea would make a very cool commercial.  And hey you never know, maybe just that right person will see this blog to get it going.  That would be awesome.  Short of that, I do have some other ideas, though.

Sometimes the willingness to adapt appropriately is a necessity to move forward.  While I haven’t decided the next best route yet or even if I would purse it this year, I do have multiple candidates.  I actually even wrote an entirely different script for an entry a while ago.  This is a strong contender.  But there are other ideas that have come up as well.  This is definitely not over.  I will continue for a little while longer to push for my original idea to go forward.  I still think it would be an amazing story.  So, for one last push, please help me get it going!  One more trade up would bring a lot more credibility to the story.  Posting that picture as large as possible on this blog would be very entertaining for people.  As always, thanks so much to anyone willing to repost this blog somewhere or help spread the word. I appreciate it!      

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have honestly thought this would have worked? The red paper clip guy took a year and guess what he did differntly? he went to the peoples home she went to Quebec to Boston to LA and it took a year! you're willing to travel what? 10 miles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a point, but I think there are some things you aren't taking into account. Also, what did I have to lose by trying? Since there was no guarantee Doritos would do a contest again a year ago, I had to wait until they announced their contest for this year. Furthermore, I didn't come up with the idea until fairly recently, so it was all pretty rushed, anyway. I think if the idea had gone viral, it wouldn't be as impossible as you think. There are incentives here that Kyle MacDonald didn't have. There was the potential to give a lot of money to charity, a mention of something important to participants (in what would be a popular blog), and the potential to be in a Super Bowl Ad. Moreover, while I don't know if the show is actually real, in Barter Kings they trade up from a $150 item to a $7,000 in about a month. So if this is realistic, I could have probably at least gotten one step above that to a lower end car. A bag of Doritos to a car would still be a good story. In the end, I learned a lot from this experience. And I haven't lost much. There was so little risk to try this, so I stand by my decision to do it.

    ReplyDelete